How to deactivate large numbers of users using a .csv file
To deactivate large numbers of Users who no longer need access to the platform. Bulk deactivating Users simplifies the off-boarding process for Company Leavers.
1. Create .csv file
First create a .csv file that contains a list of Users that need to be deactivated. The .csv must contain one or both of the following column headings:
- Email Address
- External ID
Note: If including both column headings, do not leave any values blank as validation checks are performed to ensure both values correctly match a user in the platform. Any blank or missing values will result in a data mismatch error.
You can create a .csv file in any spreadsheet application such as Microsoft Excel, GoogleDocs Spreadsheets, iWork numbers etc.
Either an Email Address, External ID, or both is required for all Users being deactivated, any other information you want to include are optional and will be ignored during processing.
Once you have created your user spreadsheet, save it as a .csv file.
2. Navigate to the Admin/Users area
- Click the Admin cog symbol
- Select the Users tab
- Select the Bulk Deactivate Users option in the left hand navigation menu
3. Upload your .csv file
To get started, you will need to choose an option from the Select visibility of user details section:
Show user details leaves user details visible to all users in the platform.
Hide user details to everyone except for Admins hides user details from any user role that is not an Admin.
Once you’ve made your selection, to deactivate users using a CSV, the CSV file needs to be uploaded to the platform for processing. To do this, press the Choose File button in the file uploader:
Once you have selected your file, press the Next button and initial validation checks will be carried out to ensure the file being uploaded can be processed by the system. The checks carried out at this stage are:
- File type – If you have attempted to upload a file that isn’t a .csv, you will be informed your file is invalid. You will need to ensure you select a .csv file to proceed.
- File size – The maximum number of supported rows in a CSV that can be uploaded for bulk deactivating users is 10,000. If your file contains more than 10,000 rows, you will be informed so you can make changes to your CSV and re-upload the file again.
- Headers – If the either Email Address or the External ID are missing from the file, you will not be able to continue. These headers need to be added to the file in order to proceed.
- Invalid values – If the file contains an email address that doesn’t match the expected format of an email address, you will be notified. These errors will need to be corrected before you are able to proceed.
4. Confirm file upload
Once your .csv file has been validated, you’ll be shown a summary screen of changes that are about to take place:
You will see a summary of any potential changes that can be made. You will be told how many Users can be deactivated, and any users that can’t be deactivated due to errors will also be displayed. Errors can be downloaded for review at a later time if needed.
If you would like to skip the errors and continue with deactivating users that haven’t errored press the Deactivate Users button. If, however you would like to fix any errors before deactivating users, you can download all errors and press the Cancel button.
5. Successful deactivation
Once you have deactivated the Users, you are shown a summary of all changes that have successfully been made, along with any errors that might require attention: