Gamification is the implementation of game mechanisms to non-game activities to prompt specific behaviours. Applied within an organisation, this means turning a series of tasks into a competition with payoff for the individual.
Idea Spotlight can help you implement a gamification system in a way that drives user behaviour to complete actions that help achieve your objectives. Each contribution can be seen by everyone and can be rewarded in some way, so that the best contributors have an incentive to keep doing what they are doing, as well as inspiring other employees.
Idea Spotlight allows you to choose how many points you want to award for performing specific actions within the platform. Please see a list below of the actions that users can win points for completing:
Add an Idea – When a Creator submits an Idea.
Vote on an Idea – When a user votes on an Idea.
Idea Comment – When a comment is added to an Idea.
Conversation Comment – When a comment is added to a conversation.
Evaluate an Idea – When an Evaluator submits an Evaluation.
Successful Evaluation – When an idea has been progressed out of an Evaluation stage.
Idea fast-tracked – when an Idea is fast-tracked to a later stage in a workflow (number of points per skipped stage).
Approved Idea – When an Idea is approved outside of an Evaluation stage.
Team Member – When a user is added as a Team Member.
- It is important to remember that when choosing how many points to award for each action, think about the type of behaviour you want to drive on your platform. If you want users to collaborate through working as teams and commenting on ideas, weight points more heavily on those actions.
- Read our Setting Up Gamification section below for a step by step guide for Idea Spotlight Admins.
Rewards are a key feature of gamification as it gives users public recognition for their engagement on Idea Spotlight. Each user can be awarded with a Bronze, Silver and Gold badge when hitting defined points milestones, set by the platform Admin. When a user is awarded a badge it is displayed within their profile page as well as on the Gamification Dashboard with an appropriately coloured bar on the graph.
Read our Setting Up Gamification section below on how to enable your Badges.
Please follow the steps below to set-up Gamification on your Idea Spotlight. Please note that you must be a site Administrator to do this.
1) From the Home Page navigate to Settings then select Set Up Gamification.
2) Assign your points to the different behaviours.
3) Click Save.
4) If you wish to activate Badges, click on the radio buttons to display the Points boxes.
5) Add your points for each Badge level.
6) Click Save.
- Step 2: Remember, think about what types of behaviours you want to promote throughout the platform.
- Step 5: We recommend making Bronze attainable to encourage early engagement, whilst Gold being a stretch to award to top contributing users. Please note that only Admin users are able to see how many points are required to win each badge