This visualisation shows ideas and outcomes by stage for a Challenge and sits at a Challenge level under the “Analytics” tab and the “Idea Pipeline” tab under that. It’s visible to users who can manage the Challenge.
The visualisation has several parts:
- The stage names on the left
- Idea count breakdown by stage
- Outcomes breakdown by stage (only visible if enhanced outcomes fields are on forms associated with this Challenge)
- Idea flow in and out of the Challenge over the past X time period (only visible for parallel Challenges)
- Outcomes flow in and out of the Challenge over the past X time period (only visible for parallel Challenges and if enhanced outcomes fields are on forms associated with this Challenge)
Idea and Outcomes Breakdown by Stage
For parallel challenges, the values in the bar chart relate to ideas that are currently in each stage that are not rejected or moved. For phased challenges, totals relate to all ideas that have ever been through a stage.
Outcomes can have an initial estimate, a validated estimate and an actual outcome recorded. If this is the case, then the outcome value used in the bar chart is the latest (i.e the pipeline will show actual if given, otherwise will show validated estimate if given, otherwise will show initial).
Each of the bars for both parallel and phased are broken up by Initial, Validated and Actual. Hovering over the bar shows a tool tip. For the idea count chart, it shows the total number of ideas. For the outcomes chart, it shows the sum of initial/validated/actual outcomes as well as the total.
For the outcomes view, the negative bar will appear on the left side of the axis.
Idea and Outcomes Flow
On the right side of the visualisation is the Idea and Outcomes flow that is only visible for parallel challenges. In addition, Outcomes flow is only visible if enhanced outcomes fields are on forms associated with this Challenge.
- the number of ideas and sum of outcomes that have come into the stage (either by being created, progressed in, move in, fast-tracked in or backtracked in)
- the number of ideas and sum of outcomes that have been progressed from the stage
- the number of ideas and sum of outcomes that have been backtracked from the stage
- the number of ideas and sum of outcomes that have been moved from the stage
- the number of ideas and sum of outcomes that have been rejected in the stage.
For the last stage, it will also show the approved and completed ideas/outcomes.
You can choose to adjust the date for the Idea and Outcomes Flow. By default it shows the last 30 days of activity, but you can change it to show the last 7 days or a specific date range. Currently the date filters by UTC time, but we will update to support the time zone of the site in a future iteration.
For outcomes that realise value over a multi-year period of time, the outcomes flow takes into account one-off costs and start and end dates. For any outcomes without an end date, it considers the outcome to be recurring over the next 5 years.
There is a legend above the outcomes breakdown by stage that shows the breakdown of initial, validated and actual outcomes. By default, all three are shown. If you click on either initial, validated or actual, it hides the corresponding outcomes. The remaining outcomes will be recalculated - for example, if an idea has both validated and actual outcomes, if the actual outcomes are hidden from the chart, the validated estimate for the idea will be added to the chart. Clicking the legend for something that’s hidden will show it again.
The show/hide functionality of the legend will also affect the outcomes flow numbers in the same way. The ideas bar chart and ideas flow numbers are not affected.
Currently, we only fully support the visualisation on tablets in landscape mode. The option to view the visualisation will not appear on phones or portrait mode on tablets.